All You Need To Know About Getting The Best Primer For Large Pores
The skin is one of the most complex organs in the body. Within the external surface of the skin, there are numerous tiny openings called pores. Every surface of the skin apart from the palm and the soles of the feet contain hair follicles. Each pore in the body houses a hair follicle. The primary function of pores is to allow three glands in the body to release the secreted matter to the surface of the skin. These glands include; eccrine which helps in sweat secretion, apocrine which is necessary for hormone and sweat secretion and the sebaceous gland which is vital for the secretion of oil or sebum.
- There are two types of pores
- 1. Sweat pores
- 2. Oil pores
- Basic Care Of Skin with large pores
- A Guide to Getting The Best Primer for Large Pores
- 1. Laura Mercier Foundation Primer – Radiance
- 2. Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer Pore Minimizing
- 3. Benefit The POREfessional Face Primer
- 4. L’Oréal Paris Nude Magique Blur Cream
- 5. Stila Stay All Day 10-in-1 HD Beauty Balm
- 6. Clinique Superprimer Face Primer
- 7. Maybelline New York Baby Skin Primer
- 8. Chanel Le Blanc de Chanel Multi-Use Illuminating Base
- 9. Yves Saint Laurent's Touche Éclat Blur Perfector
- 10. Optical Illusion Primer By Urban Decay
- Makeup Application Tips for Large Pores
There are two types of pores
1. Sweat pores
These are tiny pores that can’t be seen by the human eye. They help the body in expunging the sweat that has been released by the sweat glands.
2. Oil pores
Oil pores are commonly known as hair follicles. They are easily visible and are the main point of reference when people talk about having large pores. The more active the sebaceous glands are under the surface of the skin, the larger the pores on the outermost layer.
Large pores on the skin are a common skin problem for many people. The size of the pores on the skin is determined by the skin type and skin tone. Experts state that if you have dry skin and a light skin tone, you most likely have small pores. If you are in the group that has oily skin and a dark skin tone, you are susceptible to have larger pores. In rare cases, the pore size can also be influenced by genetics. In case any of your parents had large pores during their teenage years, you are also likely to be predisposed to them. Having large pores has also been linked to being one of the principal causes of acne. This is due to the fact that the larger the pores, the larger the size of the sebaceous glands and therefore, the more the oil secretion. The overproduction of oil eventually leads to clogged pores and dead skin cells; which are a primary trigger of acne related problems.
In the present times, people with large pores have taken refuge in makeup to hide the noticeable pores. In an attempt to reduce the appearance of large pores, some women take to saturating their skin with different types of products that actually make matters worse. Understanding the right products to use will go a great way to helping you minimize the visibility of these enlarged skin pores.
Primer is the most useful makeup product you can use to help you mask your pores without actually clogging them. A primer is a cream, powder or gel makeup product that is used as a base for foundation and is used as a barrier between the skin and your choice of products. The pore filler primers help in giving your skin the illusion of a flawless canvas. You can easily integrate pore primers to your daily makeup routine to target and minimize the visibility of those big pores. There are two types of primers you can use:
- Silicone-based: These silicone- based primers contain silicone molecules that fill out the large pores of the skin. They are also useful in helping your makeup to avoid get deep into the skin. They have a thick texture which helps to smooth the appearance of the skin. When using a silicone-based primer, it is recommended to use a silicone-based foundation as well.
- Water-based: Water-based primers are lighter and mostly have organic ingredients. They are mainly recommended for use with water-based foundations.
In order to understand what steps to take and how to select the best primer for large pores, it is prudent to understand what the causes of large pores are and the basic steps that you can take to minimize them.
Basic Care Of Skin with large pores
It is important to know if there is anything in your skin care regimen that might be worsening the situation. Also, knowing what works for your skin and helps you to keep the enlarged pores concealed will help you to achieve the best results ultimately. Here are some basic tips that can help you minimize the appearance of enlarged pores:
- Always wash your face when you wake up and before you go to bed. This helps your skin pores to avoid expanding due to holding excess oil and buildup. Also, make sure that you wash off all the makeup on your face before you sleep. Sleeping with makeup that has been on your face the whole day will substantially contribute to the clogging of pores.
- When washing the face, refrain from using bar soaps, thick or greasy products that will also clog up the pores. Bar soap is mild on the skin, but the downside is that the ingredients that help to maintain its solidity are top of the list of pore cloggers. Go for gentle and primers for pores products that have water soluble components. These products will not dry out the skin, which always leads to the overproduction of oil.
- Do not scrub the face with washcloths or brushes that have strong bristles. They will make the skin flaky and dry and lead to more dead skin which clogs the pores.
- Go for products that have silicone dioxide, Retinyl palmitate Dimethicone crosspolymer, Cyclomethicone and Tocopheryl acetate ingredients. These are critical to helping the skin combat its overproduction of oil and also exfoliate inside the pore. Over prolonged use, they can contribute to return the pore to its average size by tightening up the skin’s natural quality. It is also recommended to go for a product that contains Zinc oxide which helps the skin to restore its oil balance and aerate the pores to make them look smaller.
- The harsh sun rays are known to cause a myriad of skin problems. Always ensure to use a moisturizing sunscreen with SPF 30 or more before applying primer for large pores.
A Guide to Getting The Best Primer for Large Pores
As with any other skin regimen, it is important to know your type of skin before selecting the right product. The best primer for pores on dry skin helps to hydrate the skin and eliminate your powder for foundation from going deep into where the skin is flaky or dry. For the ones with oily skin, you need a primer that will be able to absorb any excess oils produced by the skin and mattify your makeup. This effect helps to hold the makeup in place for the whole day. Those with normal skin, the best pore minimizing primer is one that evens out your skin tone and ultimately helps the skin to look radiant by providing an ideal base for your makeup.
When picking out a product, you not only want to go for one that will reduce the appearance but one that will also help to lessen the size of the pore. Let’s look at some primer product reviews that will help you make the right choice when picking the best pore minimizer primer
1. Laura Mercier Foundation Primer – Radiance
This primer contains formula that has a creamy consistency that easily blends into all skin types and skin tones. It gives your skin the natural appearance and helps you to maintain your makeup through the whole day. This pore-minimizing primer is layered with vitamin E, C and A which are essential in protecting the skin against the elements that are aggressive to it. It is suitable for all skin types and also has non-comedogenic ingredients; which means that your skin will not be clogged.
This primer is applied under foundation and just on top of moisturizer. The best application would be using your fingertips so that it can easily blend into your skin.
2. Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer Pore Minimizing
Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer Pore Minimizing is widely known for just what its name says it does. It features as one of the best makeup primers for large pores that have a minimizing effect while still maintaining a radiant appearance. The texture of the primer is gel like which allows it to be blended into the skin with ease and the difference is visible as soon as it is applied. Silicone features among its list of ingredients which helps to target the larger pores on the surface of the skin.
Recommended application is through dabbing on the skin due to its heavier consistency. It has a matte finish that makes it the choice for ladies with oily skin. Use it with liquid based foundations as the thickness of the texture does not allow it to mix with powder or creamy foundations well. A tip from the experts is to use the primer over the makeup for a more softer and flawless finish.
3. Benefit The POREfessional Face Primer
This is the best makeup primer for large pores for women who have dry skin. It significantly contributes to the reduction of pores. It is specially modified for this function more than mattifying the skin or making sure your makeup doesn’t run. Benefit The POREfessional Face Primer is equipped with vitamin E which is a great anti-aging property in skin products. The Vitamin E is also essential in helping to combat free radicals.
The texture of this primer aids its ability to blending into the skin easily and leaving your skin looking flawless and radiant. It tints the skin slightly but can be used to improve the appearance of all skin tones. This primer is effective for reducing pores and regains the even texture of the skin while leaving it with a matte finish. This silicone based primer is not recommended for women who have extra oily skin.
4. L’Oréal Paris Nude Magique Blur Cream
Greatly known for its skin-perfecting ability, L’Oréal Paris Nude Magique Blur Cream leaves your skin feeling soft and looking even better. It significantly helps to blur the appearance of all blemishes, spots and large pores giving your skin a flawless and natural appearance.
Skin experts this as the best pore filler that is compatible with all types of skin. It contains a slight tint which allows you apply it without any other product and still manage not to compromise your skin tone. Your skin will feel lighter and look even more radiant with a poreless appearance that lasts through the day.
5. Stila Stay All Day 10-in-1 HD Beauty Balm
If you feel the need to give your face a lightened up appearance, Stila Stay All Day 10-in-1 HD Beauty Balm helps your skin to glow as you go through your daily activities. This primer helps your skin to conceal all your blemishes and enlarged pores. It is oil free and can be used by women with all skin types and tones. This primer uses minute particles of coated colors to ensure full coverage and a flawless finish.
It’s natural and skin balsamic properties aid in the process of minimizing the appearance of pores by up to 84% and are also known to reduce oxidizing on the skin which is known to increase the presence of bacteria. The formula of this primer makes it the best pore primer that also helps to prompt the regeneration of collagen, act as an anti-aging solution and also reduce inflammation of the skin from acne and other skin conditions.
6. Clinique Superprimer Face Primer
This primer is one of the best primers for big pores. It is widely known for its ability to offer full coverage while catering to your skin's basic needs. It is compatible with every skin type and complexion. This product from the Clinique range of products reduces blemishes that are prominent on the skin, and the effect is a beautiful, even-toned skin.
Blending the primer well eliminates the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines and any visual signs of aging on the skin. It allows you to go through your day without the need of touching up your makeup and also leaves your skin feeling refreshed. To achieve the best results, use after cleansing and toning your skin, use your fingertips for optimum effect.
7. Maybelline New York Baby Skin Primer
Armed with Propylene glycol and Dimethicone crosspolymer among a host of other essential ingredients, Maybelline New York Baby Skin Primer features as one of the best pore primers for people with combination or normal skin. This product gives the skin a smooth and radiant appearance and leaves it feeling great as well. Fairly, priced, offering ‘baby skin’ and concealing the pores well are qualities that identify with the best primer for large pores.
This primer keeps the skin moisturized all day long and maintained its matte appearance. Its gel consistency helps the primer to blend into the skin and protect the pores from the elements that are harmful. Use your fingertips to apply gently and evenly.
8. Chanel Le Blanc de Chanel Multi-Use Illuminating Base
Chanel Le Blanc de Chanel Multi-Use Illuminating Base has been rated as one of the best foundations that give your skin a glowing and natural look at the same time. It has an emblematic feature that illuminates any kind of skin tone and gives it that halo effect. It also evens out the skin and leaves the texture soft. It has gained recognition for its ability to hold your makeup even through the most vigorous kind of activity.
You can easily wear this primer on its own, and it will still not compromise the concealing of your large pores which eventually minimize with consistent use. This is the ‘jack of all shades’ in the primer world as it can also be used as a highlighter and concealer due to its luminous effect.
For use as a highlighter, dab with a makeup sponge on your cheekbones, forehead, and chin repeatedly. If you're using this primer as a foundation base, apply on the surface of the face evenly and blend well. Mix in a small amount with your foundation if you are using it as an illuminating base.
9. Yves Saint Laurent's Touche Éclat Blur Perfector
This primer is effective in the reduction of pores and leaves the skin with velvet like texture. It helps your makeup hold up through the day and is portable for every time you require touching up. The balm to powder feature helps the primer to sufficiently blur the appearance of large skin pores, blemishes or scars that are on the skin. Once it has been applied, the balm changes into powder to achieve full coverage.
It has a transparent after effect that basically makes it possible for you to use it without any other layer of makeup. You can either use it as a base for your foundation or use it to set your makeup for that long-lasting matte effect. It has a dominant shade that is compatible with all skin tones and leaves any kind of skin with a poreless appearance with a subtle glow.
When using the primer to replace the foundation, use a sponge applicator in sweeping motions. Start from the center of the face and move to the outer surface. Spend extra time on the problem spots.
When using the primer to set your makeup, dab lightly on the problem spots and use through the day as needed.
10. Optical Illusion Primer By Urban Decay
This primer has excellent concealing capabilities that are necessary when blurring out the appearance of large pores, scars, wrinkles and other kinds of blemishes. It has a tint that allows the primer to serve as a foundation as well as a base. The primer has a smooth texture that essentially results in easy application.
The result of even application on the skin is full coverage and a flawless finish that literally lasts for 24 hours. It is ideal for a night out or a long work day. This primer blends easily on all skin tones and skin types. It is translucent and dries out to a clean, matte appearance.
For application, apply over the surface of the skin on the face with your fingertips and blend evenly.
Makeup Application Tips for Large Pores
Extra care has to be taken when applying makeup to skin that has large pores. Once a simple routine is created, you will begin to notice the effects of using the best primer for large pores. Here are some simple tips that can be used to minimize the appearance of large pores when doing your makeup.
- Run ice cold water or an ice cube over the skin gently after your cleansing routine. This helps to shrink the pores before the application of primer so that makeup does not get deep into the skin.
- Before applying your makeup, integrate the use of a pore reducing moisturizer. You can select one from any of the brands named earlier on. Go for one that has emollient properties as well.
- After applying the best primer for large pores, use a minimal amount of foundation. Ensure that your foundation of choice is compatible with your primer for an enhanced overall effect.
- Use clean fingers or a clean sponge to apply your makeup. Always ensure that your makeup sponge is clean to eliminate the possibility of bacteria buildup.
- Apply your products in downward strokes. Helps to close up the pores and reduce its appearance.
- Set your makeup with your powder or primer. Always carry blotting papers for the days that your skin might be extra sweaty or oily. Oily skin will increase the visibility of the large pores.
Keep in mind that not every product will work well for every person. The rule of thumb before buying any skin product is being familiar with your skin type. Once you know your skin type, select the combination of products that will work well in minimizing the appearance of your pores.